Re: Status of MC

Hello!

> Since the subshell on Cygwin would not work on all versions of the dll
> reliable I was thinking if I should compile MC with subshell support
> enabled and add some runtime check which would determine the dll version
> and disable subshell if necessary. Would you accept such a change ?

It depends on how intrusive it is.  I would prefer to check for bugs, not
for versions.  I know, it can be hard to check how signals from the child
are processed.  You can always keep that patch in the Cygwin port tree, or
whatever it's called.  MC should not become a library of workarounds.

We already disable subshell for Ultrix (at configure time), and there is
no way for me to figure out if that restriction is still needed or not.

By the way, there is one more bug partly related to subshell on Cygwin.
MC thinks that the Cygwin terminal is "dumb", i.e. that it doesn't save
the text behind panels.

That's why you get pause after run by default.  And that's why Ctrl-O
doesn't work without subshell on Cygwin.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin