Re: Status of MC

Hello, Pavel!

Sunday, August 18, 2002, 10:09:47 AM, you wrote:

[snip]

PR> I believe that we should make 4.6-pre1 prerelease during the next week.
PR> I don't care about updated translations and other little details.  The
PR> important thing is to have something released as the version more stable
PR> and more secure than 4.5.55, although not so stable as we would like 4.6.0
PR> to be.

Very good news! :)

PR> Subshell block
PR> ==============

PR> 1) Fix subshell to work with Cygwin.

PR> There are still subshell issues with Cygwin.  Cygwin has significantly
PR> improved since the time when mc-4.5.55 was released.  It cannot be
PR> ignored, since it's a platform of choice for many developers, and mc for
PR> Cygwin cannot be fully substituted by Far Manager or any other program not
PR> native to Cygwin.

Cristopher Faylor provided the following patch which should fix the
problem with the subshell being stopped and MC thinking that it (subshell)
is running: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2002-08/msg00084.html

I'm bulding the latest Cygwin snapshot right now and am I going to do
some testing. Let's hope this was the last subshell problem on Cygwin!

It would be cool if more people were able to test that feature on the
various flavours of Windows. So once a new Cygwin release comes out
(as far as I know it would be very soon) and MC release for 4.6.0 (rc
or final) is out I'll be releasing the Cygwing package for Midnight Commander.

Since the subshell on Cygwin would not work on all versions of the dll
reliable I was thinking if I should compile MC with subshell support
enabled and add some runtime check which would determine the dll version
and disable subshell if necessary. Would you accept such a change ?

Thanks!

Pavel Tsekov