Alternate character set for line-drawing

Hello, there!

I know that there is an option (-a) of MC which enables alternate
character set for line-drawing. This doesn't seem the case when MC is
compiled with ncurses support. I understand that there should be a way
to switch this by passing a control sequnce to the terminal so maybe
this is why there is not such an option for ncurses MC. From reading a
termcap entry for linux it seems like this is control+N. But MC
interprets control+N for its own purposes.

If I'm not going in the wrong way (I dont have all the necessary
knowldege on the topic), is there a way to switch to alternate
character set without additional coding ?

Thanks!

Pavel Tsekov