RE: Viewer config (was: TODO list for the next version)

Hi, Nerijus!

> > filters in the popup menu would be ugly too. Running `file' on the
> > decompressed file relies on `file' being smart enough in every possible
> > situation.
>
> I don't understand how decompressed and ordinary files differ?

I meant I don't like relying on "file" too much. It's impossible for a
simple utility to know all file formats in the world, from CP/M binaries
to Autocad 13 font files.

> > Another possible solution would be to have rules specific to certain
> > directories (e.g. /var/log, $HOME/mail) without having to put MC-specific
> > config files into that directory. This would be appropriate for a very
> > advanced graphical file manager (like Nautilus), but it would look like an
> > overkill for MC and maybe even GMC.
>
> Yes, but if there is no other solution, it might be the only solution.

Ok. That means new syntax constructs, new conditionals.

> > Perhaps the best solution I can think of would be inegration of a
> > programming language (e.g. Python) into MC and interpreting mc.ext in that
> > language. But I doubt that anybody will ever do it.
>
> Why? Just provide that functionality...

Because implementing fuzzy logic (like identifying log files by their
location _and_ their names), especially _configurable_ fuzzy logic, is not
fun in C. See src/ext.c.

> > For now, you can enter "gless /var/log/messages.1.gz" on the MC command
> > line. It's there for a reason.
>
> You can use such commands everywhere, but then why do you need mc at all?

I need mc to notice that file without having to run ls everywhere. By the
way, I don't know any shell with directory history beyond simple "cd -".

> It is not an answer.

It's not the best answer - that's what I agree with.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin