RE: Viewer config (was: TODO list for the next version)

> > For example log files in /var/log are smth like messages.1, and they are
> > certainly not man files. Another related and much bigger problem (as you
> > can't use Shift-F3 here) - mc tries to show boot.log.1.gz as man file also.
>
> I cannot think of any realistic solution for the later that wouldn't
> confuse users and impact performance.
>
> We probably don't want MC to display a dialog box on every F3 asking what
> filters to apply to the file. Displaying all sensible permutations of the

Probably not.

> filters in the popup menu would be ugly too. Running `file' on the
> decompressed file relies on `file' being smart enough in every possible
> situation.

I don't understand how decompressed and ordinary files differ?

> Another possible solution would be to have rules specific to certain
> directories (e.g. /var/log, $HOME/mail) without having to put MC-specific
> config files into that directory. This would be appropriate for a very
> advanced graphical file manager (like Nautilus), but it would look like an
> overkill for MC and maybe even GMC.

Yes, but if there is no other solution, it might be the only solution.

> Perhaps the best solution I can think of would be inegration of a
> programming language (e.g. Python) into MC and interpreting mc.ext in that
> language. But I doubt that anybody will ever do it.

Why? Just provide that functionality...

> For now, you can enter "gless /var/log/messages.1.gz" on the MC command
> line. It's there for a reason.

You can use such commands everywhere, but then why do you need mc at all?
It is not an answer.

Regards,
Nerijus