Viewer config (was: TODO list for the next version)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> > Could you please change this to:
> >
> > View=%view{ascii} antiword %f || catdoc -w %f || word2x -f text %f - || strings %f
<...>
> http://www.antiword.org doesn't work.
>
> I don't know why you think that antiword is better than its
> alternatives. It didn't even install properly for me (version 0.31)
> - I had to create ~/.antiword by hand. Even worse, it doesn't
> understand the locale charset (LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R) and blindly tries
> to load 8859-1.txt.

 As a sidenote: I much prefer antiword to the alternatives but then,
I'm a 8859-1 person...

> I believe that antiword is not ready for wide use yet. I see no
> reason to add it to mc.ext. If you like it, use it. But until it
> reaches version 1.0 or becomes widely used, I don't want to add it
> to the "chain" - it's already too long.

 A wishlist item (do the project have a wishlist?): Perhaps we could
have shift-F3 show a list of possible viewers. This would alleviate the
problem with *.[0-9]-files (which are now assumed to be man pages).

//Björnen, I haven't had access to the project homepage since the
strange port-change a while (a year?) back.