Re: Viewer config (was: TODO list for the next version)

Hi, Bjorn!

>  A wishlist item (do the project have a wishlist?): Perhaps we could
> have shift-F3 show a list of possible viewers. This would alleviate the
> problem with *.[0-9]-files (which are now assumed to be man pages).

I think that Shift-F3 does a great job - it allows you to see a raw file.
I don't know why you want something else for the files ending with *.[0-9]

A really nice thing would be to have a file-specific menu (like pop-up
menu in GMC) that would list all possible actions that can be taken for
the selected files - all viewers, all editors and all ways to open it,
feed it to some program etc.

We could even hide the items for the missing programs (like antiword if
it's misiing) and use environment to hide e.g. X programs if DISPLAY is
not set, or show "Install" on RPMs if UID=0.

Another menu would allow user to browse fileless virtual filesystems, like
FTP, Samba, trpm, mailfs instead of having that stuff partly spread over
the menu, partly hidden in the source. It should be our "Where do you want
to go today?"

Unfortunalely, I must say "after 4.5.55" to all those wishes. And probably
even "after GNOME 2.0". GMC is still a key part of GNOME, so we should be
prepared that some parts of the tree will be frozen.

> //Björnen, I haven't had access to the project homepage since the
> strange port-change a while (a year?) back.

There is nothing interesting here. I registered midnightcommander.org but
it currently redirects to http://www.gnu.org/software/mc/

We could register MC on http://savannah.gnu.org/ and thus get access to
http://www.gnu.org/software/mc/, but it's not my priority now.

--