Re: Revisiting rewards for the FoG campaigns

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:

What is our lowest price point before we make a loss?

While it's goog to be aware of this, I think it's important to underline that people aren't buying a t-shirt - not even a special edition t-shirt they can't get anywhere else. They're helping the foundation, and we set the price points not to make a margin of 10% or 20% or whatever, we set the price points to raise money for the foundation.

Incidentally, typical margin for garments on the internet is somewhere between 100% and 150% of cost. Excl. delivery costs.

Also, given our current, rather manual, process for tracking and shipping and handling, it takes (Rosanna's) time to manage and ship too.

I'm sure there's data out there if someone wants to study the optimum level.
Papers like this on suggested donation amounts: http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/rjmorgan/Silence%20is%20Golden.pdf
Decreasing donor choices raised donations: http://economics.ucr.edu/winter11/Barbieri%20paper%20for%202%2011%2011%20seminar.pdf
Not suggesting levels might be the best thing: http://googlecheckout.blogspot.com/2009/12/google-checkout-for-non-profits-in-2010.html

Stormy