Subject: Re: Annual report - can I interview you?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 01:06:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Marina Zhurakhinskaya <marinaz redhat com>
To: Dave Neary <dneary gnome org>
CC: Juanjo Marin <juanjomarin96 yahoo es>, Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com>, karen gnome org

Hi Dave,

I wrote a few answers, but will need more time tomorrow. I really like to have a chance to think through these answers well. We can then shorten them and add in more things from the IRC conversation. How about we talk on IRC on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday instead of tomorrow?

Here are my responses to the first 2 questions.

Q. Marina, you've co-ordinated the GNOME Outreach Program for Women for
the past two years. Can you tell us how you got involved in GNOME yourself?

I joined Red Hat six years ago to work on a social networking product after seeing a posting from the team's manager on LinkedIn. I had used Linux through my college years and at my previous job, but I didn't have any experience contributing to free software. In fact, I remember puzzling over why there was a choice between two options - GNOME and KDE - at the login screen of my Red Hat Enterprise Linux workstation at my previous job, and wondering how was I supposed to know which one to pick.

Four years ago my original team was merged into the desktop team and I started working on GNOME. With many great GNOME contributors out there, it's uncommon for the desktop team to hire someone who is not an established contributor, so the fact that I ended up working on GNOME is a happy coincidence.

Q. How did you end up co-ordinating the Outreach Program for Women?

In August 2009, I received an e-mail from Diego Escalante Urrelo, on behalf of the GNOME Board of Directors, asking me to organize the outreach effort. Having just come from the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit, it was very evident to me and others how few women there were in the GNOME community. There are just 4 women in this[1] GNOME group picture of about 160. Two other women are Stormy Peters and Rosanna Yuen, who worked for the GNOME Foundation. The third woman is Alia Merali, who joined her husband it attending several GUADECs and helped with organizing GUADEC in Barcelona in 2006. It was very exciting to me to have the mandate and the support of the GNOME Foundation to involve more women in the GNOME community.

[1]http://images49.fotki.com/v856/filevUZx/7142f/7/441267/7802004/081.jpg (we can probably find a better picture)

(To complete my answer for this question I'll talk about what we did to start out the outreach effort and that there were 15 and 23 women respectively at the GNOME women's dinners at GUADEC in the subsequent years.)

Thanks,
Marina