Re: GNOME Rollup Display

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 23:17 +0200, Tobias Mueller wrote:
> Heya :)
>
> I'm picking up this old discussion so that we can eventually get roll-up
> displays.
>
> I am aware of the fact that they won't fit in the EventBox, but well, we
> can probably find someone to store them somewhere and with the displays
> costing ~50 Euro it's probably not worth sending them around Europe anyway.
>
> On 06.02.2012 16:48, Stormy Peters wrote:
> > I 100% support having a table cloth and a roll up self-standing banner
> Andreas provided a mockup here:
> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/ArtRequests/rollup-display-ad
>
> I'd like to receive comments on that. Ideally, until next week or so, so
> that we might even be able to get the thing for LinuxTag.
>

> The cheapest offer I found is 52 Euro incl. everything (VAT and
> shipping) <http://www.wir-machen-druck.de/category.htm?c=14136>. Does
> anybody have a cheaper offer?
>
> Cheers,
>   Tobi

In the U.S. I've gotten 4 foot x 8 foot banner for less $45 USD which
would be less than 52 Euro.  :-)  bannersonthecheap.com  They do nice
work, quick and cheap delivery.  Ordering in bulk obviously brings the
price down.

At openSUSE, we decided it was far more economical to simply print a
bunch of these banners and ship them regionally and let the ambassadors
keep them.   "Ship-and-keep."  We replace upon request or if we've
updated the banner artwork.

A 4x8 banner is a bit awkward to transport if you are traveling.  No
problem if you just throw it in the trunk of your car though.  :-)  I
had to hunt around and came up with a solution for transporting when I
travel.  I found a 50-inch fishing-pole bag on Amazon and I found a
48-inch mailing tube.  I put the banner inside the tube and then put the
tube inside the bag for easy checkin on the plane.  This keeps the
banner from getting smashed around inside the soft-sided fishing pole
bag.

This, of course, could be problematic depending on what airline you use
if they only allow you one checked bag.  Fortunately the airline I
frequently use allows two checked bags.

Shipping with the mailing tube also works.  It's a very durable tube for
about $10.  Easy to re-label and ship to another location.

The gotcha is in deciding how you're going to hang the banners.  I have
my own set of banner stands and put them in my LARGE suitcase.  I use a
muselin stand instead of a bonafide banner stand because it is extremely
cheaper and then simply use ties to hold the banner.  I believe I paid
about $35 for my muselin stand on Amazon and it accommodates up to 10
feet wide.

The 4x8 banner creates a full backdrop that usually covers the full
width of a typical table booth.  I also print our posters on these vinyl
banners.  A 2 foot x 3 foot vinyl banner runs about $12 USD.  Thus
re-usable and no worries about torn paper posters.

And you can easily roll up the small banners inside the larger banner
for one easy carry-around.

The above works well for me and I've been to several events in the last
month carrying this around with me, even when I have to use my white
cane to walk around.  The bag is large enough to sling on your back.
Very doable, lightweight, effective and attracts a lot of traffic at
events compared to other booths.

Another alternative I have thought about.  If carrying around a 4 foot
rolled up banner is a problem, you can also order smaller banners that
function like panels.   Hang them vertically to create a 2 or 3 panel
display.  Yet when rolled up, can fit into a smaller bag, albeit
thicker.  (Smaller bags are way easier to find.)

Hope that helps!

Bryen M Yunashko