Re: 3.4 Release Notes

On Thu, March 8, 2012 4:59 am, Allan Day wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 03/07/2012 10:28 AM, Allan Day wrote:
>>>
>>> Now, a question. We typically keep the release notes secret until the
>>> release itself. At least one member of the press has told me that this
>>> makes it quite difficult for him to cover GNOME releases, since there
>>> is little information about the release until it is actually out.
>>>
>>> Is there a way we can disclose what will be in the release prior to
>>> release day itself? Maybe the release notes could be made public with
>>> the release candidate, for example? It would be really useful to know
>>> what other projects do in this regard.
>>

>> I'm all in favour of working on the release notes in a publicly
>> accessible
>> repository, even in the wiki (although adding pretty & screenshots is
>> not
>> easy in the wiki). We can of course avoid publicising the URL until the
>> release comes out, but having the notes developed in the open will allow
>> people to get a head-start, as you point out Allan.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave.
>
> That might help. However, I feel that we need something a bit more
> proactive to get the word out to journalists.
>
> We might struggle to do it for this release, but having a separate
> press release and some kind of release notes for the release candidate
> could be a good way to get the word out.

We've talked about putting together a list of journalists to contact in
the past (I think that was Jos's idea). Perhaps this is the time we should
put this together and try to contact folks? We could point to the in
progress notes, which might prompt them to ask targeted questions that
could be easier to address...

karen