Re: Annual Report, GNOME Journal & Quarterly Reports

Emily & GNOME Journal Folks:

On 01/29/12 09:32 PM, Emily Chen wrote:
Hi Brian and all,

  I am working on the GNOME quarterly report for about one year, this
sounds like a good idea to combine the GNOME Journal and GNOME Quarterly
report. I am happy to work with GNOME Journal team to make things
forward. How does everyone think about this idea?

This sounds like a great idea.  Who is working on GNOME Journal these
days?

I suspect that those people who normally work on GNOME Journal are
probably busy helping on the 2010-2011 Bi-Annual Report.  This
Bi-Annual Report is the 1st glossy product of the GNOME Marketing
team since the GNOME 3.0 launch.  So, it would not surprise me to
hear that GNOME Journal and/or the Quarterly Reports might be on
of lower priority until the Bi-Annual Report is completed.

That said, it still does sound like there should be more discussion
and coordination between the Quarterly Report, Annual Report, and GNOME
Journal people.  Perhaps this could be a topic of an upcoming Marketing
team IRC meeting?

Also, a few months ago the GNOME Marketing Team was discussing having a
hackfest, but there has been no discussion recently.  There sure does
seem to be a lot of work that would justify getting key GNOME marketing
people together to push forward on these and other activities.

Brian

2012/1/5 Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com
<mailto:brian cameron oracle com>>

    Emily:

    I very much agree that the GNOME Journal and Quarterly Reports should
    be combined.  I think it would make sense for the combined thing to
    continue as GNOME Journal and just stop doing Quarterly Reports.

    The Quarterly Reports have been useful tools in helping to make the
    Annual Report, so perhaps GNOME Journal could be enhanced to cover
    these topics instead of having a separate Quarterly Report.

    Also, it would be nice if we had a periodical that was a bit more
    focused on being something to share with the GNOME User's Groups.  I
    think adding the "User Group Report" to the latest Quarterly Reports
    was an effort at providing more periodic information about what is
    going on in the GNOME User Group community.  However, I suspect we
    could do more to make the GNOME Journal something that focuses on
    GNOME User's Groups as an important topic and audience.

    Brian