Re: OSCON

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 18:47 -0600, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 16:37 -0800, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> > The chair of OSCON used to be a GNOME contributor.  We can probably ask
> > him regarding any confusion on the criteria.  I'm not that bullish of
> > manning the booth but I will if it will help the cause.
> >
> > sri
> >

> I wouldn't want to see anyone stuck manning the booth.  But surely
> within Portland and the nearby areas, there are people willing to
> volunteer to help staff the booth.  A well-scheduled rotation makes
> "boothing" enjoyable and gives everyone a chance to do other things
> instead of feeling like it is all work and no play.
>
> As I recall, there's about 3 days of exhibit hall time.  And it kicks
> off with a general meet n greet within the exhibit hall the first night
> incl horsey doors. (No I cannot spell that appetizer word to save my
> life!)

I manned the GNOME booth at OSCON for 3 years.  It just seems that the
participants there are not really interested in Linux desktops in
general.  They are all cloud/web apps type of people.

The booth would have to be focused on applications or integration with
cloud, a11y, or online services to get traction IMHO.  A booth for the
sake of just showing a GNOME desktop is not very inspiring or useful.

sri