Re: Guadalinfo Accesible case study

Hi Félix.

On Sun, 2012-01-22 at 18:55 +0100, J. Félix Ontañón wrote:
> Hi again. Please find in the following link the refered document,
> both in editable and printable format.t both in english and spanish.
>
> http://fontanon.org/gnomea11ycaseAndalusia.zip

If it is decided that your proposed document is worthy of inclusion
on any GNOME site and/or distribution elsewhere, I would encourage
you to do the following:

Proofread the English content. I sympathize *completely* with the work
required to write a document in a language other than your own. That's
why I get my Spanish colleagues (several of them) to review anything I
write in Spanish.

You have the bold-text statement "A very important part of the project
was several improvements on GNOME desktop accessibility by adding new
features and applications that previously didn't exists." From my read,
that seems to suggest that new GNOME applications were created as part
of this project and upstreamed by GNOME. If so that's great, but...
which GNOME applications were created exactly? If the answer is "none,"
I would rephrase your bolded text to be more clear about what work was
completed where.

I think it would be worthwhile to distinguish the features which were
upstreamed and verified as working from those which are downstream-only
and/or unverified. For instance:

      * There is no "keyboard profile similar to JAWS" in Orca.
      * Whatever work was done to achieve "seamless integration with
        Voxin" was presumably not required by Orca -- either that or
        it's downstream only.
      * GNOME Voice Control is not a GNOME module and is for all intents
        and purposes dead. [1]
      * In theory the Evince improvements were done and upstreamed; in
        practice I have never been able to get any accessibility out of
        Evince. Ditto for Orca users from a variety of distros. As far
        as we are concerned, Evince remains inaccessible. :(

I'd also be sure that improvements provided were listed in the right
place. For instance, does Dots (a braille translator) really now have an
improvement of "Reading scanned text with Orca"??

It might be worth distinguishing which companies and contributors did
what. Amongst other things, I thought Fernando Herrera did the Dots
work; not Warp. Likewise, I'd not combine company names with slashes
without first checking with the companies being paired in this fashion.

> This study case shows how Andalusia regional gov. choosed Gnome
> Desktop for setting up accessible workstations at their telecenter
> network.

Case studies, as I understand them, are more research-based. As such,
I would expect anything with that title to not just promote work, but
to also analyze the processes involved in bringing that work to fruition
-- both the successes as well as the failures. Thus I would suggest that
you find a different descriptor/title.

Take care.
--joanie, Orca Project Lead

[1] https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/festlang-gvc/2011-May/thread.html