Re: "Deployments" page sends the wrong message

On Thu, February 9, 2012 6:57 am, Allan Day wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
>> On Tue, February 7, 2012 3:30 pm, Christy Eller wrote:
>>> Hi-
>>>
>>> I have been gathering some more info about recent deployments. Thanks
>>> Marina, I have added several more current deployments to our
>>> Deployments
>>> wiki page, https://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/GnomeDeployments,
>>> including a one using GNOME 3.0.2.
>>
>> Thanks for working on this, it's great to have some current information
>> there
>>
>>> My suggestion is that we split off the older deployments to another
>>> page,
>>> called GNOME Deployments 2000-2008. I would prefer to have that info
>>> available, but I agree with Joanie that seeing a list of really old
>>> deployments could send a negative message. I would rename the current
>>> page
>>> to Current Gnome Deployments, and would refer to the older deployments
>>> page
>>> there. I chose those dates, because I want to make sure that the
>>> current
>>> page has enough data not to look too sparse.
>>
>> That sound really great to me. I agree with you and Joanie that it
>> doesn't
>> look good to have such old information on that main deployments page.
>>
>> I'm trying to track down info on another couple of deployments I know of
>> too.
>
> What's this page used for? Is it worth the effort of ongoing maintenance?

In the most general way, I think it's important to have a place where we
show people where GNOME is being used. More specifically, I have wanted to
point potential new partners to this page but have hesitated because it's
so out of date. It's nice to be able to show folks that GNOME is used
successfully in real endeavours. Were the page somewhat current, we could
also use it as a reference for grant applications and the like.

karen