Re: Marketing Minutes December 13, 2012

Hi,

Sorry I couldn't attend - a sick son & bedtime meant that 8pm yesterday was rush hour in the Neary household.

On 12/14/2012 03:24 PM, Emily Gonyer wrote:
Sri: Theres a common wisdom that GNOME will throw out features and are
unfriendly. We've let others tell our story for us. As a result, most
of the press we receive is negative, focusing on GNOME 3's failures
and shortcomings.

Andreas: Whats the biggest drawback of this perception?

I would say that the biggest draw-back of this perception is that we are not growing as a developer community, because we're seen as a conservative project where code is as likely to be rejected as accepted once the work is done, it's not clear how to get pre-approval before developing something that it'll be accepted.

We have also had a couple of examples of new applications being built which compete with existing apps, and the process for choosing has been unclear - Photos & Shotwell comes to mind, as do Files and Zeitgeist. I think this is also hurting the GNOME ISV community (such as it is).

In addition, the reputation of GNOME as a conservative project is worse in the platform, with the result that we have few developers working on the foundations of the project at this point.

I don't have any good answers to how to turn this around, but it seems to me that these are the biggest costs of the reputation - because if we don't figure out how to grow our developer community, the rest doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary, Lyon, France