Finally, one final point, community outreach should continuously try to challenge any of the old beliefs of GNOME taking away features and so forth.  We have a lot of baggage that we got from the switch from 1.0 to 2.0.  Which was quite painful since everything had to be re-written.  We pretty much started over.  A lot of people who complain probably haven't used GNOME since 1.x days.  They have never gotten over the fact that GNOME changed.

In fact I think a presentation talking about what happened during that time frame would be excellent.  I have an idea in mind already.

Anyways, jut some additions to the minutes.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
Minutes from Marketing Tele-Conference, December 13, 2013

Participants: Sririm Ramkrishna, Karen Sandler, Andreas Nilsson, Emily
Gonyer, Alan Day, Olav Vitters, Flavia Weisghizzi

Topic: Community Outreach/Development

Sri: Theres a common wisdom that GNOME will throw out features and are
unfriendly. We've let others tell our story for us. As a result, most
of the press we receive is negative, focusing on GNOME 3's failures
and shortcomings.

Andreas: Whats the biggest drawback of this perception?

Emily/Karen: Because the result is many people who have simply never
seen GNOME 3, and are surprised by it when they do. Because of the
perception we are limiting both our development and user bases.

Karen: Addressing these myths is hard, though there may be an
opportunity coming up with Vincent Untz's “Has the GNOME community
gone crazy?” talk at FOSDEM.

Sri: We need to have people on Twitter during the talk addressing
comments on Twitter in real time.

Overall we need to be more vocal about what we're doing. Need to
expand outside of IRC & mailinglists. Forums are going well, but input
from real GNOME developers/contributors would help them expand much
more rapidly. Be open to outside ideas – express more clearly that we
want to hear from outside users & developers. Also be open to outside
contributors and accepting of whatever they have to share.

Sri: How do we continue to support our theme/design while being open
to outside ideas? By promoting extensions?

Karen: We have this message/theme of 'Simple by default. Configurable
by design.' - extensions are how we make it configurable and we should
be promoting them. But we need to figure out the issues with
extensions and any infrastructure issues related to them.

Sri: Back to communication – we have problems as well communicating
what we're doing to each other.

Emily: Should we revive the GNOME Ambassadors program?

Sri: Rename my 'community outreach' to GNOME Ambassadors – will look into it.

Olav: We should continue having these meetings – they are helpful.

Emily: Should look into including the release team & other key members
of GNOME community in these meetings.

Action items:

Everyone should be participating as much as they can.

Look at the design area of the forums, as well as at re-doing their
theme. (Andreas)

Talk with Vincent & Karen about talking to the press. (Karen)

Look into the GNOME Ambassadors program. (Sri)

Setup a regular call (bi-monthly? Around releases?) with the release &
marketing teams to better coordinate between them. (Karen)

Next meetings topic: Friends of GNOME campaign on Privacy & Security.

--
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it. -  Goethe

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr.Seuss

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein