Re: Ubuntu GNOME Flavor naming

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha ubuntu com> wrote:
At the Ubuntu Developer Summit in May, several of us that work with
GNOME in Ubuntu discussed the need for a Ubuntu community derivative
similar to Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and others but which will try to ship a
relatively pure GNOME experience.

Thank you for working on this!  It's great that you guys are working on a pure GNOME experience.  Glad you haven't forgotten us. :)

The traditional Ubuntu naming convention for these alternate flavors
is "Gubuntu" but it seems that could cause confusion with the
pronunciation of Google's internal distribution Goobuntu. We'd like to
instead use GNObuntu.

Yes, definitely does seem to do that..

We want to run our proposed name past GNOME first to avoid the hassle
and conflicts of being forced to later rename the project.

GNO bunto, I"m not particularly happy with..  Mostly I keep hearing "NO buntu" which seems to have a negative twist to the whole thing.

Since it is easier to say no, how about this suggestion?

GNOMEbuntu -

Even better, why not distinguish ourselves and remove the 'buntu' postfix altogether?

Ubuntu-GNOME
for instance?  or even Ubuntu::Gnome which would give it some visiual relevance.

anyways, I don't know what canonical's policy is on spins.. but I thought I would throw out something and start a discussion.

sri

Thanks,
Jeremy