Re: Press list

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jos opensuse org> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'd like to propose setting up a 'press list' which we can use for
>> embargoed
>> pre-release information on announcements and cool stuff going on in GNOME.
>> The
>> list would only be for selected journalists and low-traffic. I volunteer
>> for
>> managing and I'm sure a few others would be able to help with that too.
>>
> I think that's a great idea. I can invite a bunch of journalists to sign up.
>

>> I've seen this used in both KDE and openSUSE and it is a very effective way
>> of
>> ensuring extra attention to announcements. Workflow is a bit like this:
>>
>> - write announcement
>> - send draft of announcement + some extra info & quotes to the press list
>> 2-3
>> days before the announcement. Mention it's under embargo and tell the press
>> when to release it.
>> - on the day of the announcement you can count on a few articles by press
>> on
>> the ML they otherwise might not have written...
>>
>> The ML would be one-way, max 2 mails/week and closely moderated. Anyone (so
>> all GNOME marketeers) will be able to send an info mail for the press to
>> the
>> list but the moderators would have to let it go through. Obviously, spam on
>> that list is VERY BAD...
>>
>> If the marketing heads on this list agree it's a good idea I would like to
>> know who to ask to set it up and who wants to help moderate it ;-)
>>
> To get it set up, I think you can file a bug or ask one of the sys admins on
> IRC.
>
> Stormy

When I was working on the GNOME 3.0 launch, I put a bunch of journalists
into our CiviCRM installation and tagged them "press."  Please consider
checking out those entries and using them to seed the new list.  (There
might even be a way to run this as a set of campaigns through CiviCRM
itself, but I haven't checked.)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
http://brainwane.net