Re: Fallback / Classic Mode

Allan:

On 03/18/11 04:28 AM, Allan Day wrote:
The message, as Olav has already pointed out, is
that it is 'fallback', not 'classic' GNOME. It's what you get if you are
unlucky enough not to be able to run the full GNOME 3 desktop. It isn't
intended as something that users choose to use.

(There is a switch in the control center that lets you force the
fallback mode, however.)

I can imagine some situations where a user would want to choose
'fallback' mode.  For example, when accessing a remote machine via
XDMCP or Xvnc, users would likely find that 'fallback' GNOME performs
better - especially if latency is high.  If my home directory is shared
between the remote and local machine, I might want to use GNOME 3 on my
local machine, but use "fallback" GNOME when I log into remote machines.

I get your point that for the "average" or "typical" user, it probably
does not make sense to expose the fallback/classic mode.  However, there
will likely always be particular configurations or setups where it makes
sense for people to use it.  Unless GNOME is evolving to simply just not
support these sorts of use cases anymore.

Brian