Re: Fallback / Classic Mode

Hey John,

This is a sore point indeed, GNOME Shell won't run on VirtualBox (the
only cross-platform/user-friendly/ opensource desktop virtualization
app), same for KVM (I don't know what's the state for VMWare though).

This really troubles me, a lot of people these days (certainly a lot
of Mac guys) run Linux on a VM, at the same time, the Unity guys have
managed to get their stuff running on top of the VirtualBox 3D driver.

I do not know what is going on at the technical side (probably clutter
requiring OpenGL extensions VirtualBox doesn't implement), but
certainly something worth investigating with the clutter guys.

Then again, I think we should keep the fallback mode as close to the
2.x look as possible tbh to avoid confusion. Maybe showing a startup
splash explaining it the first time it falls back.

My 2cents