Re: updating http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> On 03/01/2011 03:51 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> > I think there's value in having http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap as a
> > place where what's new in GNOME 3 for admins, users, developers gets
> > summarized in a few bullet points, for developers to see.  This seems
> > like a few hours' work for someone who already knows the technical
> > side of GNOME pretty well.

Yes, we need a master list of the key changes in GNOME 3, as well as a
summary of the selling points. It needs to be something that those
involved in marketing the release can refer to and on which our various
marketing materials can be based. This *might* be the release notes. It
might be something separate and more extensive though. My plan is to
start blocking out the release notes and see how they hang together. If
we end up with more material than we can squeeze into the notes, we can
use it for a separate master document.

> > Lucas Rocha just suggested: "I think the roadmap could be simplified
> > and focus on major areas intead of being per module" -- so that could
> > help make the job a little simpler.
> >
> > Can I get a volunteer by Thursday -- preferably someone who can update
> > this by March 10th?  Once someone's done this, someone like me or
> > Allan might even translate it into something more layperson-friendly
> > for gnome3.org.
> >
> > -Sumana
>
> Lucas also notes:
>
> "Jon and Allan can definitely give useful overview of the general UX
> roadmap; Jakub too. I'd focus on 3 things for the update.  if you guys
> focus on those 3 areas, it will be easier to update roadmap.   Shell,
> Settings and Platform -- if you can at least have a solid summary of the
> plans for those 3 things, it's a good start.  then maybe just send out a
> call for roadmaps for other areas ...
>
> "shaun will probably jump in with docs roadmap.  api probably has a good
> overview for a11y work.  mclasen would probably be the best person for a
> platform roadmap.  (just thinking out loud here)"
>
> Allan, can you take this on?

The roadmap [1] appears to be the place where post 3.0 plans will be
consolidated:

'We intend on updating this for 3.2 so you know what's in the plans for
3.2 (plans for the UX, settings, docs, platform, apps) by the time we
release 3.0 in April 2011.'

Will the existing Roadmap Gang [2] not be taking care of it?

Best,

Allan

[1] http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/
[2] http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Process#Roadmap_Gang