Re: Can we document how to do GNOME announcements, please?

Hi Jos,

Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> A possibility is to create a news.gnome.org which publishes a selection of
> planet.gnome blogs which are meant as announcements.

The difficulty is that I want my blog to be my blog. Sometimes I'll
write about something "newsworthy" but most of the time it's just me.

I really like something like LWN, where you have actual editorial
judgement applied by a team of moderators. Just posting a link & extract
from a news item/announcement is more than enough, unless you're doing
(say) an interview of a "proper" announcement, at which point a
dedicated article is appropriate.

Unless... when you talk about "blogs", you don't mean individual
articles, do you? Because that's basically what I'm suggesting.

> And you can have the best of both worlds - create a wordpress for a newsteam
> which publishes on planet and goes to news.gnome.org automatically and
> additionally allow the news team to publish selected blog posts there with one
> click.

Yeah... this sounds like what I had in mind :)

We could just use the "Press this" bookmarklet that comes with
Wordpress. Just tested it:
http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2011/06/08/article-collaboration-myths-from-gartner/

> Of course this idea takes more infrastructureal work than having a wordpress
> as news.gnome.org so that'll be the limiting factor I suppose.

Well, we have a wordpress, I'm thinking that you can just make
news.gnome.org point to blogs.gnome.org/news and have
news.gnome.org/announcements point to the current news.gnome.org, and
have it as a link on your wordpress. The theme to make it fit on
gnome.org is probably the bbiggest challenge.

> BTW I hereby offer my help with editing and occasional writing (in case of a
> wordpress blog) & selecting (in case of the aggregation proposal). I'd hope my
> experience could also be useful when it comes to setting up a few policies for
> the news team.

Super! I am sure we accept :)

Cheers,
Dave.