Re: window controls removing max and min from windows committed..

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

> This is a fairly significant departure from how most DEs do things
> with window management

But there are precedents...

I'm totally willing to break old habits to learn new ones.  I'm somewhat in the minority in this. : -)  I hope we don't have a lot of old folks who are stuck in their ways!  There is a thread already now that is trying to document the change.  The more people we have the better it would be.

>  and I would be interested in how we will need to manage this change
> and give a clear idea of how this will work for them.  I must confess
> that I myself will have to go through a re-learning experience caused
> by years of habit on this feature.

It would be good to have some data on these kinds of adjustments. Do we
have a figure on how long it will take people to adjust, for instance?
One piece of advice that I often give people is to give GNOME Shell a
decent try before making a judgment, since you can't form an opinion
about it until you've shaken off some of your old habits. Maybe we
should settle on a fixed period we'd advise people to try it for? A
week, perhaps?

Some kind of video diary maybe?  Pick a selection of people of various backgrounds and have them go through the changes within a week?  Or maybe we could use a text diary, it doesn't matter and then put that on GNOME3?  We definitely need to encourage people.

But the fact that there is no immediate flame war on gnome-shell is very encouraging.  I think our efforts of community managing seems to be helping since the signal to noise ratio on gnome-shell has fallen off..

sri