Re: material for desktop summit press kit

Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
> Hi board and marketing list!
>
> We're putting together information for the Desktop Summit Press Kit, and
> one of the sections is "hot issues" for both KDE and GNOME.
>
> here's the KDE draft so far:
>
>> Key issues for KDE at the Desktop Summit The KDE community will use
>> the opportunity of the Desktop Summit gathering to discuss:
>>
>> * KDE and its relationship with the larger free and open source
>> software picture, including cooperation with other FOSS projects, our
>> relationships with downstream distributions, as well as upstream
>> technology provides, especially Nokia and Qt.
>>
>> * The KDE mobile strategy regarding Plasma Active and QML. These
>> strategies will be shaped by how the market is evolving with the
>> rapid growth of tablets and smartphones and our role, as a
>> traditionally desktop community, playing into that.
>>
>> * Our Cloud strategy: Project Silk, ownCloud; how we see the market
>> evolving with the advent of web technology and online data and how do
>> we see our role, as a traditionally desktop community, playing into
>> that.
>>
>> * Plans for the upcoming KDE Desktop and Applications 4.8 releases.
>>
>> * "KDE in 5 years" => KDE Frameworks (evolution of the Platform
>> towards modularity and more level-playing-field integration with Qt),
>> future of the desktop as well as the other form factors, mainstream
>> successes.
>
> What do you think I should include?
> Suggestions I've got already are:
>
> The GNOME community will use the opportunity of the Desktop Summit
> gathering to discuss the following 'hot' items in the community:
>
> * GNOME 3; how to help the distributions to package GNOME 3 and ease the
> overall adoption of its use and development, seeking feedback to help with
> design and architecture
>
> * Improving the collaboration with KDE for the lower levels of the stack

A few ideas off the top of my head:

 * Celebrating GNOME 3.0. 2011 has been a big year for GNOME; the
summit will be a chance for contributors to congratulate one another
on their achievement.

 * Reviewing progress towards 3.2 and looking at the exciting new
technologies that are in development, such as our new documents
interface and the new GNOME Contacts framework.

 * Welcoming our new Executive Director and the new Foundation Board. :)

(Not exactly 'discussion' points, I know...)

Allan
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/