Re: Contractor status update: last week & next steps

Hi all,

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> My last email, on April 1st, mentioned that "my main TODOs today, this
> weekend, and early next week are to follow up on press contacts, the
> eReleases blast, and GNOME Journal."  So I did that; that day, I got the
> eReleases press release out [
> http://www.ereleases.com/pr/gnome-30-users-developers-49501 ], and it
> went to more than a thousand publications.  And then here's a list of
> what I did last week:
>
> * Corralled answers for journalists.  A few journalists asked me
> followup questions after the press release [
> http://www.gnome.org/press/2011/04/gnome-3-0-released-better-for-users-developers-3/
> ], so I got answers from other GNOME people, wrote answers, replied to
> the reporters via email and phone, and put these answers on the wiki:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/TalkingPoints#Approaches_That_Work .
>
> * Managed the GNOME Journal launch.  Nagged the last few authors, edited
> articles for content and style, uploaded them, fought with Textpattern,
> continued planning to move us to WordPress, and sent out the publication
> announcement.  I'd still love for people to continue publicizing this,
> since there are many interesting nuggets that I haven't seen picked up
> by the larger press.
>
> * (Started planning the next two issues of GNOME Journal, including
> hopes for a 3.x roadmap article in case anyone wants to write it.)
>
> * Did a teensy bit of web testing and feedback regarding gnome3.org.
> Great job!
>
> * Went to the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit.  There, I talked up
> GNOME 3 to reporters and other interested Linux folks, and made contact
> with some KDE people and started talking about publicity for the
> upcoming desktop summit [ http://www.desktopsummit.org/ ].  It sounds
> like we should be working to drum up attendance now, by planning special
> events, trumpeting rare speakers, and publicizing the unique benefits of
> attending GUADEC & the Desktop Summit.
>
> * Attended the marketing/PR training at the Linux Foundation
> Collaboration Summit [
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit/press-training
> ].  I sure did learn a lot, from strategies for resource-constrained
> projects (build relationships with five key reporters) to tips for being
> interviewed.  I will link to Cloer's slides and add my notes when she
> puts them up.
>

> Undone:  I didn't put tasks in Bugzilla because they were moving too
> fast and I was in San Francisco, many timezones away from Allan in
> Bangalore, and couldn't coordinate effectively.  Lesson for next time:
> do it early if we're going to do it at all.  Similarly for setting up
> interviews with key GNOME developers; I dropped the ball there.
>
> Now that we've launched, I talked with Allan about how to best use the
> rest of our contracts (we're booked to work on GNOME till the end of
> April).  We think our priorities for the rest of April are:

> [...]

Looks good to me! I'll be writing a report on my recent activities in my
blog.

Some of the things I want to do in the upcoming weeks (apologies if this
overlaps with above):

* Get a couple of nice articles into external news sites.

* Finish up the release parties photo competition and do what I can to
get the photos on gnome3.org.

* Improve the content that's on gnome.org and maybe produce a bit more
(I'm working with the design crew to produce a nice printable GNOME 3
cheat sheet).

* Clean up the marketing wiki pages, particularly the marketing
materials, and elaborate our brand guidelines so that they cover GNOME 3
patterns (stripes, Canterall, etc).

Can anybody think of anything else?!

Best wishes,

Allan