Re: Distributing distros under the GNOME Banner

I'm thinking LinuxWorld or some Linux Foundation conferences.

sri

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Bryen M. Yunashko <suserocks bryen com> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 12:02 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Bryen Yunashko wrote:
> Does GNOME have a particular policy about providing distros in their
> booths at events?

We asked all our advisory board members for CDs for the event box. We include a few from each one that sent us some.

Is it worth hitting these big linux conferences?  It seems to me that the smaller linuxfests type conferences is the proper target.  They actually talk about desktop instead of cloud or whatever other buzzwords is out there.

Also I would much prefer hitting the government and educational conferences.

I think we should be going to conferences that are not developer conferences. We are often preaching to the choir, i.e. talking about GNOME to people that are already GNOME fans.

Stormy

Sri,

I'm not sure which "big" conferences you're referring to.  But I have to agree with Stormy that "preaching to the choir" does have rather limited returns.  I think we should more rely on the knowledge of the person/people who are volunteering to man a booth at an event.  They're (hopefully) aware enough of the audiences and have a plan in mind for how to deliver the GNOME story effectively to that audience that comes to the booths.  Rather than just having a booth just for the sake of a booth.

On the other hand, some people volunteer to set up a booth just so they can get into an event at a cheaper price to themselves rather than paying a full registration price (if one exists.)  I just look at that as "Hey, its a benefit to the person in exchange for their ongoing contributions to GNOME."  As long as it doesn't cost us anything or is relatively low in cost, go for it.  :-)

As for GNOME-A11y Outreach, we generally don't intend to have our own booths at non-a11y events.  Most of our intentions are to be at non-Linux-based events, such as CSUN or AEGIS.  I generally like going to non-low hanging fruit events because that's where we cast the widest net of bringing in new attention to GNOME efforts.  We'll leave more general events to the wisdom of the GNOME Marketing force, though we may join in and assist if possible.

We will, however, probably be stepping up our efforts to present sessions at more general events to raise awareness of GNOME's role with accessibility to the general FOSS Community.

Bryen M Yunashko
GNOME-A11y Outreach