Re: Distributing distros under the GNOME Banner

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Bryen Yunashko wrote:
> Does GNOME have a particular policy about providing distros in their
> booths at events?

None in particular. Past GNOME booths have distributed Ubuntu, Fedora,
OpenSuse and Foresight liveCDs. Plus, the GNOME preview LiveCDs which we
made for a while were also based on Foresight.

I would recommend Fedora or Ubuntu as easy-access GNOME-based
distributions. In certain situations it might make sense to distribute
Vinux, Debian or GNUsense, depending on the public.

I think it depends on what conference you're at.  Certain distros are better in some things than others.  For instance, if you're at an educational conference, perhaps ubuntu/edubuntu or something would be more appropriate.

Alternatively, we could partner up with a distro for a particular confernece.  Whoever volunteers is whose distro we will be distributing.  Or if the person who is volunteering is already associated with a distro the can just push that since they can talk about the distro intelligently.

Sorry -- off topic but..

Is it worth hitting these big linux conferences?  It seems to me that the smaller linuxfests type conferences is the proper target.  They actually talk about desktop instead of cloud or whatever other buzzwords is out there.

Also I would much prefer hitting the government and educational conferences.  I think that's where we can get new users.  Cash strapped areas like those are perfect. :)  And to make this somewhat on topic again, finding which distro does better in these things is a good idea.  Distros might not be happy if we shunted them into particular areas when they are trying to expand to all areas (eg fedora vs edubuntu) but it's still better than Mac or Windows.

sri