Re: Traineeships at GNOME

Em 25/05/10 19:13, Jaap A. Haitsma escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> In the Netherlands it's normal that computer science students need to
> do 6 month traineeship at a company working on a certain project.
> Outside the Google SOC program I've never really noticed (but I might
> have missed it) trainees working on GNOME.

It is also mandatory in Brazil, for many graduate courses.

> I thought it might be an idea to have a traineeships page at gnome.org
> where companies can propose possible traineeships. With the trainees
> we can get some love back that Bastien is missing [1]. Actually his
> email triggered this one.
>
> Has it ever been tried in the past to promote traineeships for GNOME
> outside of the SOC scope?

Well, I just get involved with gnome, so I don't know about the past,
but I liked the idea. Currently we can find many skilled programmers,
marketers and designers (just to cite a few) that are engaged in some
level with free software ideology, but aren't involved with any project.

This could stimulate develop talents. :)

Free Software Foundation offer an internship programme non-paid[1], as
also the Free Software Foundation Europe [2], with the latter being paid
"a small remuneration to cover basic living expenses" [2].

> Another related idea is to have a jobs page where companies can post
> GNOME related job ads. We could even opt to ask some donation for
> placing the ad ($100 ?). Or we could make it a perk for corporate
> sponsors of GNOME. If they pay x a year they get the job ads for free.
>
> What are your thoughts about this?

It is also a good idea that has the same effect of stimulate talents and
free software professionalism.

Free Software Foundation has a place to job offering, with the usual
price of $250 for 30 days ad [3].

1 - http://www.fsf.org/resources/jobs/listing/volunteer/internships
2 - http://www.fsfe.org/contribute/internship.html
3 - http://www.fsf.org/resources/jobs/listing