GNOME at which events

Hi all.  Zonker blogged at OStatic about the ROI of having a presence at
events that are 99% attended by people who are already GNOME/FLOSS converts.

That made me wonder, in all seriousness, whether getting volunteers (or
for that matter, speakers) to some non-FLOSS events might be a
profitable venture.  Perhaps _more_ profitable, but here I run into the
I-don't-knows: does GNOME send people to general computing events, such
as ETech, SXSWi, JavaOne, USENIX, Where 2.0, even MacWorld?  If so, how
often?  There are surely excited users and developers at them.

Even ACM has a lot of potentially-interesting SIG events, like CHI and
SIGCOMM.  I remember at OSCON last year talking to the ACM booth worker
there, who in spite of his professed belief that open source developers
ought to join ACM because it is "their professional organization even if
they don't know it," actually had a few misconceptions about open source
software itself.

Just an open question.  Perhaps there's already a good GNOME presence at
some or all of these events and I'm just unfamiliar with them.  But if
not, I wonder why not.

Thanks,
Nate
--