Re: Facebook GNOME page

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:43 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> I like the idea of contests with tshirts as prizes. (Can we give out a
> Facebook badge? Is it possible to do that - give a badge to a select
> few like Facebook sells pretend teddy bears and bananas? Anybody
> know?)
>
> More ideas for contests folks?
>
>            - what's cool abt gnome
>
> Maybe go for most creative "cool about GNOME"?
>

>            - I showed gnome to my mother/friend/teacher ande this is
>         what he/she said
>
> Maybe go for funniest thing someone said?
>
> Stormy
>

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Bharat Kapoor <3 kapoor gmail com>
> wrote:
>         Stormy
>
>         How abt using this as an avenue to further ur idea abt
>         engaging users.
>
>         How about we create a plan for facebook and we could do the
>         following:
>         - Contests (what I don't know)
>            - how I use gnome
>            - what's cool abt gnome
>            - I showed gnome to my mother/friend/teacher ande this is
>         what he/she said
>         - we could definitely run some quiz (and give gnome shirts as
>         prizes) - maybe on a monthly basis
>         - seek feedback
>

>         We can try to do the same on linkedin.
>
>         My 2 cents
>         Bharat
>
>         >
>         > On 2010-03-17 3:31 PM, "Stormy Peters" <stormy gnome org>
>         > wrote:
>         >
>         > Hi GNOME Marketing folks,
>         >
>         > I think we are missing an opportunity to reach out to our
>         > users via Facebook - see the stats below. 6,464 fans!!!
>         >
>         > I also attached a couple of screenshots of our "insights".
>         > It was interesting to see how the interactive fans compared
>         > to all the fans as a whole.
>         >
>         > I don't think we should immediately go on Facebook and ask
>         > for money. I do think we should figure out how to more
>         > actively engage these folks. At the very least we should
>         > monitor the page and comment on people's posts. We could
>         > also test out marketing campaigns, myths and myth busters
>         > for GNOME 3.
>         >
>         > So if you aren't on the page[1], go join. Especially if you
>         > are an active Facebook member. Then take a few minutes to
>         > read through, comment on people's posts, and think about how
>         > we can actively engage with these folks.
>         >
>         > Stormy
>         >
>         > [1] http://www.facebook.com/pages/GNOME/5758174322
>         >
>         >         ------
>         >
>         >         Here is this week's summary for the Facebook Page:
>         >         GNOME
>         >
> [...]

I like the contests idea - one of the secrets to success in using social
media is to update often - whether it's with news, contests, updates,
etc.

How can we put a plan together with 2-3 updates a week to keep it
relevant?

I agree with Stormy that Facebook could be a great tool for
communication with our user base, and I like the idea of two way
communication.

Off the top of my head, I think Netflix does a good job on Facebook
where they will post a couple times a week with an open ended question
about movies to get their fans involved.

Paul