Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

(Sent it from the wrong address the first time ...)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stormy Peters <stormy peters gmail com>
To: rms gnu org
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:18:54 -0700
Subject: Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:

   We probably could have had moblin be "GNOME Netbook". We probably could
   have had Maemo be "GNOME Smartphone". Or Sugar be "GNOME Education".

It is fine if they promote GNOME, but remember that Maemo contains
non-free software, so we wouldn't want GNOME to be too closely
associated with it.

Maemo/Moblin/MeeGo use GNOME and we are proud of that. Of course, we always encourage organizations and projects to use more free software but we should not ostracise them because they don't use 100% free software.

These projects help fund, improve and promote GNOME. They hire many of our community members to work on GNOME, they fund hackfests and they fund our events. As our downstream partners, they are also members of our advisory board.

Sugar is a good thing, but it is a different interface -- is it
connected with GNOME?

Sugar uses many GNOME technologies and they are interested in working with us to improve GNOME, free software user interfaces and to promote free software in developing countries. Sugar Labs sits on our advisory board.

Stormy