Re: YouTube NFP Status for GNOME official

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 18:02 -0500, Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> So, as some of you already know, Stormy and I have worked to get YouTube
> Non-Profit Status for the GNOME Foundation.  Yesterday, Google
> officially informed us that we have been granted such status.
>
> What this means?  We can post longer videos!  YEAH!  Now we can actually
> post our talks in its entirety on the channel.  After I'm back from my
> next series of travels, I'll post the videos from our CSUN GNOME
> Hackfest.
>
> Some things we need to think about going forth:
>
> - This is our channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/GNOMEDesktop  Now we
> need someone to beautify the channel.  Any volunteers?
>
> - Access:
> Currently, only Stormy and I have login access to the channel.  This can
> be a problem because
> A)   If we stay as the only access caretakers of the channel, that means
> someone who has long videos has to give it to us and we upload them.
> The problem is, how do we accept long videos from the individuals?
> Can't email it to us... too big.
>
> I also think neither Stormy nor I want to be the sole video uploaders to
> the site.  In theory, we should be seeing a lot of videos coming in from
> now on.  And we all have plenty on our plates as it is.
>
> B)  If we give out the login password, how do we control this so that
> not too many people have access and end we end up having too many people
> with passwords and no way to control this.  (I sure wish Google offered
> some sort of user access management tool.)
>
> I really don't have a good clear answer on these two issues.   How do we
> handle it elsewhere?  Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> Bryen

Hi Bryen,

Thanks for the update and the good news!

I don't know the answers, but I am also sensitive to using free software
for videos in addition to Flash at Youtube (yes, HTML5 will come....
someday).  Jorge Castro and I had talked a while back about using
blip.tv to help with this process.  Talking to Jorge again (whose also
volunteered to help us set this up), we can sign up for blip.tv and FTP
up the large videos.

>From there, blip.tv will auto-transcode and transfer to both Miro (we
have a GNOME Miro channel) to use ogg (free software!) and Youtube
(which gets more views).

I don't have an answer on who, but we should find some volunteers to
help man the team.

Paul