Re: GNOME Installation Howtos

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 11:42 -0500, Darton Williams wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In reference to http://website-editors.gnome.org/download/installation:
>
> The only existing links to Howtos were for *BSD. Since these guides
> were on the official distribution websites, it made sense to try and
> find guides on the official site for each of the other listed distros.
> However, many are nonexistent and others such as PCLinuxOS recommend a
> fork built with GNOME.
>
> So the question is, should we find reliable unofficial guides (e.g.
> howtoforge) to fill in the blanks, or simply remove the distros
> without official guides and try to focus on the distros with? I've
> started this with the 2.28 list, taking the distros listed on older
> versions which do have official guides.
>
> Also, I think the distinction between the versions and the presence of
> different distros in each version list may confuse people.
>
> Best,
>
> dartonw

Hi Darton,

First, thank you so much for helping review and edit the content.

For both the Distributions and the Installation page, I agree that the
presence of multiple versions is confusing.  I believe we should only
link to the latest release, in this case 2.28.  (I also think we should
list the distros alphabetically to avoid the perception of playing
favorites).

For installation, I think the original intent of that page was to give
an overview for building from source or using jhbuild, not for
upgrading / installing GNOME on distros.  I think the distro support and
unofficial guides should be out of scope for our website. (Copying the
marketing list for feedback on this).

Paul