Re: Campaign Proposal

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 08:09 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Nelson Marques <07721 ipam pt> wrote:
>
>          Please flame at will...
>

> I would hope that nobody would do such a thing for putting effort and
> time into an idea.  We have serious community issues if one expects to
> be flamed when proposing an idea.  This isn't LKML. :)
>

> That said, I haven't looked at the attached docs, but I do like the
> idea of ecological friendliness and naming releases after endangered
> animals is a splendid idea.  O'Reilly did something similar with the
> cover of their books although the animals weren't endangered and
> interestingly enough I remember the covers as well as the title
> sometimes the cover before the title.
>

> sri

 It's not a big idea as it's already for ages with GNU/Linux
distributions, by Apple, etc.

 The point is actually not to do it randomly, but transmitting to the
audience that we care about this. This will also open a window for
further participation on forthcoming releases.

 I used the Lynx because it's something that I know, but we'll need more
endangered species for next releases if this is a go, so providing new
ideas for endangered species to use is also good.

 I do believe it's reliable to do this and that it will surprise a lot
of people, and we will cut the "copy cat" issues by fundamenting the
idea with something that really no one can point fingers.

 I also thought that this might be a good campaign to launch further
challenges to the community. I'll give a practical example. I "gear up"
my desktop on DeviantART (around 3000 GTK themes/engines), Emerald
themes etc... For the GTK Themes I do install them by unpacking them
into the .themes folder. People who are arriving to GNOME will install
very few themes using the theme installer because the themes provided
don't comply and are missing files required by the installer.
 This is a point that people not so technical might prefer to swap to
KDE for instance.
 Through this we can launch a campaign for artists to make a theme about
endangered species and submit it. We have to do it according to our
rules, and that comes with full compliant themes. We already have
documentation on that.
 We can get people who participate to be connected to GNOME if we
distribute their themes on the release. I don't know how distributions
like Fedora, openSuSE, Ubuntu, etc stand when distributing GNOME, but we
can ask for their support and distribute this packages (themes/artwork).

 We can provide wallpapers made by contributors using the donated images
through art.gnome.org as we can also distribute them through the
organizations who will cooperate with us (ex: SOS Lynx) and of course
promote GNOME at zero cost through another channels.

 I believe this is a good way to expand not only GNOME philosophy and
Free Software, but also to attempt to get more people commited to GNOME.

 I wouldn't expect we have full themes supporting Metacity, Emerald,
GTK, icon sets etc... but I would recon that many people would most
likely be willing to provide art and become interested in GNOME.

 A reliable campaign like this could even allow us to offer challenges
to schools, remember that distributing themes donated on official
releases it's also a great victory for artists who get their work
distributed around for millions of users. If this is not appealing, we
might need to think on something else, but it's a start.

 Doesn't require resources from the GNOME Community, won't endangered
other projects, so I see it as a win situation.

 About the flames, the important is that everyone can provide ideas and
debate. I'm interested on everyone's point of view. Besides "flaming"
and "flames" are words that call for people's attention ;)

 NM