Re: Guadec and Dutch government plans for OSS and desktop

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 15:35 +0100, Sanne te Meerman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've made a post before where I addressed the Dutch' government plans
> for OSS in their desktop. As Guadec will be in holland this year, the
> organisation is aiming to have one or a view sessions about OSS in
> public intstitutions. The government just released a consultation asking
> for feedback about their plans.
>
> The document and interaction with government could provide several
> opportunities:
> -It could give vital information about preconditions to target
> government markets.
> -Gnome could give an official reaction to them (before the end of march)
> or later in a technical magazine or webzine to praise the merits of the
> plans and criticize weaknesses, and showing themselves as a serious
> contender.
> -Could provide an opportunity for exposure as a lot of magazines might
> be interested in Gnome's thoughts about this.
> -resulting in Buzz, exposure, increased opportunities for Guadec
> fundraising, etc. etc.
>
> You decide, here it is. It's in dutch. If you think this could be
> interesting, let me know, so we might have someone translate it.
> http://wiki.noiv.nl/xwiki/bin/download/OpenDWR/WebHome/RealisatielijnOpenDWRv0.93februari.pdf
>
> regards,
> Sanne

 Hi Sanne,

 My dutch skills aren't that good. But I'm leaving some information you
might consider precious for now and later if you need for something
else.

 Please check on http://www.kompass.nl (or www.kompass.com) for the
companies where you want to check for sponsorship. You have their
contacts, phone/fax, address, etc.

 I would advice you to make a list of companies that can be involved,
this can cover, mobile operators (forget the MVNO's), banking
institutions, technology institutions and hardware manufacturers.
 I would point some companies for you:

 - Philips Royal Electronics
 - Logitech (It's Logitech payed personel that develops their webcam
drivers for GNU/Linux, though they are not officially supported, but
shows an effort). I would recommend you to contact their Head Office in
Rommanel Sur-Morges / Switzerland.
 - Vodafone
 - T-Mobile
 - ABN/AMRO
 - ING Bank
 - BenQ
 - Motorola (based in Enschede, I lived 200m away from their
installations, next to FC Twente Stadium :)).
 - MSI
 - Plextor (Belgium based)

 I would recon most mobile operators will be willing to participate,
when you contact them, also make sure that you try to recruit speakers
for something we can consider relevant.
 Remember that when GSM4 pops out, mobile operators will have something
to say, as most of them will deliever 100mbit through GSM. This will
cover Netbook/Laptop/tablet, etc... Remember to focus to them that the
potential of GSM Networks is a very important thing for mobile
communications and at some point they will enable it allowing GNOME and
GNU/Linux to use it's max potential.

 Please don't ignore this companies because they usually place lots of
money in things like this. And in Vodafone's case, you can consider a
later Friends of GNOME supporter.

 My two foughts... About the Government, it's nice to show a reaction
from the Government, but thats the field of the bureaucrats. I honestly
believe you will get more support from the private organizations than
from the Government itself. Though contacting the city hall from the
city where it's going to be is important.

 NM