Re: FSF, terminology, and marketing

I'm looking askance at this. I find the arguments in favor of "GNU/ Linux" to be specious: if you examine the makeup of early Linux distros, following the FSF's reasoning would obligate one to call it "X/GNU/Linux", at least. Further, I'm troubled at the idea that we'd attempt to conform to FSF ideas on terms like "intellectual property" and "open source".

Few distros refer to themselves as "GNU/Linux", and the mainstream media never uses the term. It's unclear to me, with the numerous other things we could be usefully doing, why we'd choose to spend energy on a, frankly quixotic, "terminology crusade".

Shall we advise folks to avoid buying Harry Potter books as well?

__
Sent from my Steve-Phone