Re: What is GNOME?

On 09/08/2009 02:30 PM, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
>> Our current web pages are pretty much for people that already know what
>> > GNOME is, but we might want to rethink that as we roll out the new webpage.
>> >
>> > I think it's a marketing problem. Thoughts?
> I think we should break it down to these:
>
> A project that aims to make computer accessible to everyone (in the
> wider possible meaning of accessible, 0 cost, accessible,
> localized...), this is the BIG meaning.
>
> Then this big meaning gets broken down to these 3 main approaches to
> achieve the goal:
> * An opensource desktop environment for open source operating systems.
> (This needs a non-geeky wording approach though) (Freedom for users)
> *A complete set of tools for developers to create apps for such
> environment. (Freedom for developers)
> * An online, world-wide community of people joined together for the
> pursue of GNOME's goals.

I think it boils down to the big problem for any website which is
establishing your target audience and going after them. As soon as you
split the target into Users and Developers, or even New Users and Old
Users, your homepage will immediately be less helpful or relevant to any
of those groups.

In cases like this, it's usually best to go with the least 'in' group-
the visitors new to GNOME, so they can just arrive and get the
information at a glance. Long time GNOME users can handle a button or
link to take them to community content and developers likewise should be
able to handle an obvious link to targeted content.

I think Alberto has the groups right but if you try to focus on three
groups on the homepage you'll make it ineffective.

Regards,
Dave Lyon
http://eazely.com