Re: What is GNOME?

2009/9/8 Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>:
> I met with Denise last week and she pointed out:
>
> It's very hard to tell what GNOME is from our web pages. If you don't know
> when you land on gnome.org, you aren't likely to figure it out. An "easy to
> understand desktop" doesn't really mean anything to non desktop/OS
> developers. When you go to About GNOME, you get a list of our
> values/features but not a definition, screenshot or list of projects.
> It's very hard to find a list of projects in GNOME.
> No where do we say what GNOME stands for.
> No where do we say why we have a foot print as a logo. (There's mention of
> how it came about in a history here,
> http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/gnome-history.html, but no mention of why
> we/they/he thought the foot was representative.)
>
> Our current web pages are pretty much for people that already know what
> GNOME is, but we might want to rethink that as we roll out the new webpage.
>
> I think it's a marketing problem. Thoughts?

I think we should break it down to these:

A project that aims to make computer accessible to everyone (in the
wider possible meaning of accessible, 0 cost, accessible,
localized...), this is the BIG meaning.

Then this big meaning gets broken down to these 3 main approaches to
achieve the goal:
* An opensource desktop environment for open source operating systems.
(This needs a non-geeky wording approach though) (Freedom for users)
*A complete set of tools for developers to create apps for such
environment. (Freedom for developers)
* An online, world-wide community of people joined together for the
pursue of GNOME's goals.

My two cents.

--
Un saludo,