Re: Having search engines pay for being default search engine in epiphany, deskbar applet etc

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 13:37 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

> Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> > Op woensdag 06-05-2009 om 07:25 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Stormy
> > Peters:
> >
> >> We'll need to pull in the right developers to get their support for
> >> putting it Epiphany or where ever else we have search options ...
> >
> > Uh, Google has been the default search engine in Epiphany since the very
> > start.
>
> Google should be able to tell us the search volume coming from the
> Epiphany search box, then? If it's tiny, it's probably not worth their
> while supporting us (any more than they already are through their
> advisory board membership, GUADEC sponsorship, Summer of Code...)

Market share of epiphany seems to be really low [1], I don't think it
would be worth. If it was about a symbolic retribution, I would say that
Google already does a lot for GNOME.

Claudio

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers