Re: GNOME Store

Alex, thanks for your comments.  Copying the marketing list as well.

Paul

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Alex Launi <alex launi gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Paul Cutler <pcutler foresightlinux org> wrote:
I'll be the first to admit I don't have all the information on the current setup, including adding products and the revenue model.  However, in my experience at a former employer running e-commerce sites, having a punch out site with a different URL decreases customer conversion to buy.

I will definitely agree that as a consumer I am a bit put off by being redirected. An integrated store, where I know (or at least feel like I know) that all my funds are going right to the organisation I'm buying from increases the likelihood that I will buy.

One alternative that came up in #marketing in IRC last week was using Zazzle, who manages the Mozilla store (http://store.mozilla.org/).

What does this get us? Is it like running our store but someone else runs it for us?

I'd like to gauge if there is any interest in the community around this idea?  If so, we may want to create a small team that can help screen artwork, choose what kinds of merchandise to sell in conjunction with a fulfilment partner, and work with the web team to get a store implement.

I think there's a market for it, and if it wouldn't end up being a major expense, and would actually help bring some more income to the foundation I give it a thumbs up.

--
--Alex Launi