Re: Putting ads on GNOME websites

On 05/05/2009 05:15 PM, Stormy Peters wrote:

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org
<mailto:behdad behdad org>> wrote:

    On 05/05/2009 05:05 PM, Stormy Peters wrote:

        I agree that if it's even a percentage of that, it might be
        worth it.

        What would people think of trying it out for a couple of months? We
        could start with Google ads to see how well ads work and once we
        have an
        idea of how much to expect, we could solicit ads directly from
        companies.

    It's one of those holes I don't think we want to get down into.  But
    I don't have strong reasons for, other than sanity.  It just feels
    bad IMO...

$145,000 would pay for a lot of hackfests ... if we sold ads directly to
companies, we could control who was advertising.

And if we are getting that much potentially paying traffic, we should
have a nice, obvious link to Friends of GNOME on the home page,
contribute and support page!

Back to "lets advertise ourselves", ruler and stuff? :)

behdad

Stormy