Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

Shaun McCance wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 22:34 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
Stormy Peters wrote:
Speaking of which, we do very little (if anything?) to advertise GNOME apps. I think users pick operating systems based on apps. They have a task, they pick an app. They don't decide to use Windows or Linux or Mac, they decide to use Photoshop or Gimp or iTunes.
An idea me and Lucas had a while back was the "Not the GNOME App Store". Mockup here [1] This would be a website with a selection of the coolest GNOME applications. The idea is a place with downloads of these for Windows, OS X and the most popular Linux distributions. The browser could detect your OS, so some of the software would be disabled if you're running a non-free OS (as they aren't ported over) and would invite people to do the switch to a distribution running the GNOME desktop.

This could either be a short campaign running for 6 months or so, or a permanent place on gnome.org

1. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/184285/gnome-appstore.png

Do you have more design ideas around this?  Would we want
to have more software listed than could reasonably fit on
a front page.  Maybe a dozen on the front page and a link
for more?  Should there be an actual overview page for
each application?  I don't want to over-complicate, but
we could offer a bit more pretty easily.
I think it would be nice with a "more details" page for each app where you could see some screenshots and a short bullet point list with what the application have to offer and how it will make your life easier and better. Will fix a mockup of this. Bringing in Pulse does indeed sounds like a good move in the long term.

I think the safest route right now would be to collect a small list of really nice GNOME apps applications (some cross platform, some not). I imagine this would end up as a terrible bike shed, so while I'm happy to receive suggestions on apps that would go in, don't count on me adding them :) So, anyway, small list of apps at first, if successful, we'll add some more. However, I don't want this to turn into gnomefiles.org or gtk-apps.org. Lets keep it small and focused.
I could whip up a functional system to run this in an
evening, probably.  If you have more ideas, could you
do more mockups?  If I do the design, it'll be as ugly
as Pulse. ;)

Seriously, we could make this happen in a week.
I can't promise it to happen during next week, but I'll do my best. I'll get in touch with you on IRC so we can put this together.
Thanks for the great feedback!
- Andreas