Re: Marketing Mission, Team Members & Wiki Cleanup

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:

   *
     *Releases* - roadmapping <http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap>, release
     notes <http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes> and coordination with
     the Release Team
     <http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/NewReleaseTeamMembers>.

This is getting done (not as well as I'd like perhaps, but Davyd and Murray deserve major props for conscientiously following up on this every 6 months).

We could help them out with key messaging and sending out their notes to the press.
   *
     *Press <http://www.gnome.org/press/>* - Official news
     <http://news.gnome.org/>, press releases
     <http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/> and press relations.

This kind of happens by default - there was a year there where I wrote all the press releases, but we haven't exactly been doing a sterling job of getting the word out. Not a core skill of mine :) It's been better since Stormy came on board.

I can help write them and sending them out to press contacts but I'm having trouble identifying what should have a press release until it's happening.

I'd like to see us have a press release calendar where we put out one every month. (And we can do one based on the Friends of GNOME survey results.)

   *
     *Materials <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing%3A/InterWiki>* -

     Digital and printed documents and demos allowing more people to
     learn about GNOME.

Happens by default right now. People write presentations, demos, screencasts, etc. when they have to - to give a presentation, to demo a project, for a report, that kind of thing.

We should force people to do those things more often to get more material :)

If we had a nice way to share presentations, this would be a lot easier. I'd love a tool where I could store all my slides with speaking notes, quickly go through them and select a few and create a new presentation. That would also be a great way to share presentations/slides with others.

   *
     *Research <http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Research>* -

     Collaboration with universities and private R&D programs.

This is very much aspirational right now - it's one of those things we'd like to see done, if you know what I mean. When we have one final year student doing a project, or one masters/PhD student thesis to put up here, I'll be a happy man. Right now, ...

Hmm. Lots of university folks have studied or are studying GNOME. (Although they don't like the fact that we have lots of subrepositories.) I'll post a link to a GIMP study I have and I know there's more.

What's left is motivating people and getting them organised, and that's not going to get done locally by one person. We need people locally to be contacting their local press, LUGs, universities, writing articles, giving demos, participating in conferences, and making all of the above easy with some nice generic material...

Maybe if we can get it going centrally and in one or two locations, then we can have "case studies" to highlight in blogs and GNOME Journal for others who want to replicate it in their area.

Stormy