Re: promoting good gnome apps via news.gnome.org

Hi,

Stormy Peters wrote:
I think we need an installer - for Linux and for Windows.

And I think there's interest from several distributions to have an application install solution so if we were willing to create one (or a plan for one), I think we might be able to find resources to put behind it.

I am against any Linux ISD (including ourselves) trying to provide a one-size-fits-all installer, until a packaging system that allows that comes along. I have high hopes for PackageKit, but in the meantime, your goal should not be to give people installers, but to document installing it on the most popular distributions (Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, Fedora, SuSe) with generic "apt-get" or "yum" instructions. Each distribution has a distribution specific installer, that is what we should be targeting.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary