Re: Next milestone - June 15 (Content structure, final design, contenttypes)

Hey Paul,

2009/5/31 Paul Cutler <pcutler foresightlinux org>:
> Good morning Marketing team!
>
> I wanted to take a few minutes and follow up on Lucas' email, and talk about
> next steps, and what's due for the next milestone on June 15th.

Nice! Some comments/suggestions inline.

> From Lucas' email:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Milestone goals:
>>

>>  http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven#head-a1b48fa0eb8248143bf402dea04f4a0b72e43050
>>
>> Suggestions:
>>
>> - Content team: cleanup your status page to have only 2.28 stuff and
>> use links to previous discussion/decisions on wgo content. This will
>> probably make it less confusing for new contributors.
>> - Content team: maybe you should work on the content in the wiki until
>> we have the test website in GNOME servers to avoid infrastructure
>> distractions. For this milestone you probably won't be doing to much
>> content writing anyway. Just a note for the future.
>

> Per Lucas' suggestion, I've done a first draft of cleaning up the Content
> page at: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven/Content. ; I
> removed the old sitemap recommendation, and linked to it instead (see the
> "Reference" section at the bottom of the page).

- No need to state that the page is a draft...
- You can probably move links in the paragraph "The wgo structure is
designed considering..." to the reference section as well.

> I also added a paragraph on getting involved, and created a table that does
> a couple of things:

- Maybe reference the marketing list somewhere in the text for new contributors?

> * Lists all pages that we discussed for the last milestone, and if they're
> due for 2.28. or 2.30
> * Shows pages that needed to be created, and if it maps to a page in the
> 2007 draft of content. and if so the original page's name and if a first
> draft was completed (copy found on the test site)
> * Adds an Author column - If you are interested in writing the copy for this
> page, please add your name to that row (I'm going to help write copy, but
> I'll wait a few days before adding my name and let everyone have a chance to
> grab the pages they want to write)

Suggestions:
- Link the 'Yes' on 'First Draft Available' column to the available draft.
- Link each 2.28 row with its respective draft page. Example: Links
the About->Foundation to:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven/Content/About#head-46306e916b0ea52b73a80bdc188573eaae64764a

- It would be nice if the table had a 'Status' column with things
like: 'Writer Needed', 'Draft Done', 'Ready for Review', etc.

> A couple of things on the table:  I can't decide if it should reflect all
> pages, or just what we need for 2.28.  I'm also sure we are missing
> sub-pages - see the recent discussion on Developers, and Friends of GNOME is
> a good example - the Friends page is called out, but if you look at wgo, we
> have sub-pages that exist today wgo that are not reflected on the current
> site map.  This needs to be finalized for the June 15th milestone.

You can probably keep the 2.30 related bits. Just put it in a
completely separate section on this same wiki page for now. This is
because we don't have a place to document 2.30 content yet. The
important thing is to not confuse people with content that is not
supposed to be worked on during this cycle.

> Lucas also mentioned starting to draft our copy on the wiki.   I've created
> pages to do that, and are linked to under "Content Development" towards the
> bottom of the Content page on lgo.  If you add your name to the Author
> column, feel free to start drafting copy on those pages.

Suggestions:
- blog about the website content tasks
- Copy/paste the available initial drafts to the respective draft wiki
page. Example: copy content from
http://gnome.rehfisch.de/about/foundation to
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven/Content/About. This
way you'll have all available content on the expected workspace.

Cheers!

--lucasr