Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

Sri:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com
<mailto:Brian Cameron sun com>> wrote:

    - Many public television, radio stations, etc. will play free ads
      for non-profits.  Wouldn't it be interesting to put together some
      advertisements that we could use to get the message out there?
      While it would require some work to coordinate such things, the
      cost would be low once the content was created.  Perhaps we could
      find volunteers to help with creating the content as well.  Some
      people who do graphic design or video work might be interested in
      volunteering their time on a project that would receive a lot of
      airplay and therefore be a boost their resume or portfolio.

We had talked about a GNOME youtube channel I think that is still a good
idea and I'm looking into how to work that in my copious spare time.

As you say, I think this is probably a bigger job than one person could
reasonably do.  Perhaps we should focus on developing the GNOME
Marketing team so that such big jobs can be shared by subgroups of
interested people, as Stormy suggested.

Right now, I think we are in brainstorm mode, but hopefully we can
narrow down these ideas to a reasonable set of things we could do.

    Although GNOME Journal is a great way to get the message out there,
    can't we do more to try and get the message out in more mainstream
    press?  We are mostly preaching to the choir via GNOME Journal, I
    think.

I think GNOME Journal can still do this.  See the message previously in
this thread regarding sharing articles with other magazines.  If we can
land our articles in mainstream magazines that is going to be a big
win.  Secondly, we have in fact had articles from GNOME Journal
published in foreign language magazines I think in eastern europe if my
memory serves.

That's great news.  Perhaps we should be asking ourselves what we have
done right in the past and see if we can use that information to build
upon such past successes.

    For example, I have heard that it costs thousands of dollars to make
    a Windows machine support the sorts of disabled users who get free
    support in GNOME.  Perhaps an interesting marketing angle would be
    to better highlight exactly the cost benefits of using GNOME.  How
    much, exactly, do you save?  This might be of special interest to
    U.S. organizations which need to meet Section 508 requirements of
    the U.S. Disabilities Act.

This is an excellent point.  Also, for developers we have gui testing
tools that cost thousands of dollars in the windows world.  So that's
another thing we can hype up.

Exactly.

    A press team would be great, though I don't think we should limit such
    a team to only think about the GNOME 3.0 roll-out.  There are a lot
    of messages we could be better at communicating.  In the past year, for
    example, GNOME hasn't been very good about participating in things like
    the "Software Freedom Day" and other annual events that would benefit
    from greater participation from the GNOME community.

Only if there is interest.  We already seem to have problems doing
things actionable here.

Yes, that is a significant problem.  Getting more people interested and
engaged in GNOME Marketing is perhaps job #1.

Brian