Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:

> All the places where we show a GNOME foot should be themed, so just
> changing the icon theme should work. If this is not the case, then it's
> a bug, I'd say.
>
> (that's actually why you don't see the GNOME foot in Fedora, I think)

Yes, theming does help. But I think that would diversify GNOME
looks-and-feels, up to people's preferences. We propably need
something more official when talking about, say, screenshots in
documents, logos on web sites (e.g. I don't think many general
people are happy with the current one in http://th.gnome.org), or
any other kinds of promotions.

>> Should there be an alternative logo for GNOME?
>> For example, using a gnome head instead is OK.
>
> If we were to change the logo (or adopt a mascot), I'd propose a sea
> turtle. No idea why, except that I like it :-)
>
> That being said, it's kind of hard to change something like this,
> especially since many people are emotionally attached to the GNOME
> foot...

If the logo needs to be associated with gnomes, I like Thilo's gnome
hat. And it may include a gnome's head, i.e., something similar to
EOG's former icon.

But if it's to be a mascot, there're more possibilities. It can even be
the Wanda fish.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan