Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On 6 Nov 2008, at 10:37, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

Maybe you could contact the GNOME Art team. They could make some
suggestions. Don't focus on the "Gnome" idea. Few people think of small mythical beings when they think of GNOME. Unfortunately, I don't have a
good suggestion. Some other form of "G", maybe?

In my vague memory, some GNOME 1.x versions used to use a flower
logo at the main menu. And after some search, I've found some
evidences:

Ah yes. During our GNOME 1.2 usability study, some of our participants memorably asked "what's the fried egg for?" :)

Other than that, a (well-designed) flower might be a pretty good call-- it has some history in GNOME, and it symbolises all those hippie values that are shared by the open source community :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team