Re: On distro users feedback

It continually amazes me when producers of market offerings ("vendors")
refer to feedback as "informal" or "anecdotal".  As if "formal" feedback
(I presume people are referring to focus groups and surveys here) gave
you any better information.

The only deficiency of the "informal" user feedback is that it is not
easily categorised (as with surveys that provide predefined answers) or
that there is no-one analysing a limited amount of qualitative
information like in a one-off focus group.

The closest we have come to "managing" user feedback is a couple of
pages on live.gnome.org and "feature request" bugs in various bugzillas.
What we need is a system a level above copying and pasting from an IRC
window into a page on l.g.o, a system that is incredibly easy to use
(i.e. I have an idea, or I've just read something on a blog, now I just
need to do X and it will be recorded for analysis by the GNOME Marketing
Team).  The only question is: what would X look like?

Propositions:
1. Bugzilla is to time-sucking for this kind of thing (you need to think
and hunt for the right place to put things)

2. Qualitative data analysis needs humans.  It can't be automated.  But
a "first cut" as assigning feedback items to categories can be
automated, and humans can fix the screw-ups later.

3. It shouldn't require any additional software to be installed.  The
system should be able to accept input via email or teh innarweb.

4. It would require an initial sprint to sift the data we have and
assign them to categories, but from then on the workload would decrease
markedly as categorisation becomes more "automatic" (either humans more
quickly recognise recurring themes, or software becomes smarter).

OK, now I'm out of ideas.  I suppose I am thinking of a page something
like feedback.gnome.org/telluswhatyouthink where people could just past
or write stuff in a text box, and possible some ability to attach binary
data.  And an email address feedback gnome org for the same purpose.  I
admit these ideas are vague and mundane.  I suppose the geeks could get
excited at writing the automatic categorisation (Bayesian learning,
similar to spam filters would be the go I suppose) software.

I can see the outputs of such an effort being of such value to distros
(and even proprietary software vendors) that they would be willing to
either pay for it or pay someone to work on it.